PCOS reasons and remedies
Stop worrying and start your path to the cure.
PolyCystic ovary syndrome, commonly named PCOS, is an endocrine problem of women of reproductive age. The PCOS symptoms have infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods menstrual irregularity, infertility, pregnancy complications, hirsutism( facial hair ), acne, acanthosis nigricans( darkening of the skin on the nape of neck, underarms and inner thigh ), increased prevalence of obesity and abdominal obesity. It predisposes to various metabolic problems including impaired glucose intolerance, diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, dyslipidemia (decreased plasma high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and increased plasma triglycerides ), inflammation (increased CRP level).
The reason for weight gain during PCOS is that it inhibits the function of the hormone insulin that helps in the conversion of sugars and starches into energy. So the sugars and starch get built up in the bloodstream, this is known as Insulin Resistance.
The first-line treatment of PCOS is lifestyle modification. Lifestyle modification includes eating right, exercising regularly and psychological counseling. It is often found that girls and women with PCOS have a lot of body image issues due to weight, acne, facial hair and hence are more prone to depression and eating disorders. High fiber foods, with low amounts of fats, calories help in reducing weight. Green vegetables, fruits that are rich in antioxidants help in reducing the inflammation that is caused. Having small frequent meals with physical exercises scheduled by dietitians helps you to reduce the factors of PCOS.
The DIETARY MODIFICATIONS are
- PROTEIN FIRST – have protein in every meal, plant protein is most recommended.
- Eat plenty of fresh vegetables in the main meals – Eat your rainbow “ should be your mantra of choosing vegetables. Eating vegetables of different colors like red 9 amaranth, beets, tomatoes), oranges (carrots, pumpkins ), green (green leafy vegetables and others), yellow (lemons), white ( ash gourd, bottle gourd), and purple (brinjal, turnip, yam).
- Eat nuts every day. Nuts like walnuts, almonds, pistachios, even peanuts are good for health.
- Avoid foods containing trans fat and saturated fats as they increase insulin resistance. These are present in bakery foods, ready to eat snacks, etc.
- Choose the right quality and quantity of complex carbohydrates. choose whole grains like brown rice, whole wheat, millets over refined cereals like maida.
- High fiber foods – can help combat insulin resistance by slowing down digestion and reducing the impact of sugar on the blood.
- Foods that help reduce inflammation may also be beneficial.
- Choose the right quantity and quality of complex carbohydrates. Anti-inflammatory agents like turmeric, cinnamon, amla, etc .are very importantly in these diets as PCOS is an inflammatory condition.
Exercise in PCOS :
Exercise should be an integral part of everybody’s life, but for girls/women with PCOS, it holds more importance. Exercise improves muscle mass, decreases fat mass and hence improves insulin sensitivity.it helps release endorphins (feel-good hormones ) and hence helps fight the low feeling, which these girls/women might go through. Exercises like walking, cycling, swimming or weight training, done at least 5 days a week, can help to control the associated metabolic problems and weight gain. This type of exercise helps you in increasing the insulin sensitivity that also helps in maintaining the hormonal levels, PCOS may leave to several other health issues such as Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiovascular diseases. It improves the frequency of menstrual cycles and ovulation. It also improves pelvic stability that may lead to a healthy pregnancy.
WALKING: Have 30mins walk every day, the fast walk should be done on even surfaces so that it reduces the risk of infertility and improves the strength of cervical bone and maintains balance.
SWIMMING: Swimming should be practiced for 1hr every day so that it reduces the fat content and helps in body toning. The BMI level can be reduced gradually and the normal level can be maintained.</strong></p>
YOGA : Yoga is one of the best exercises that have meditation, helps you in maintaining your hormonal levels balanced. It helps the individual to reduce cyst formation that is the major problem for PCOS. There are several exercises named Hasanas, breathing exercises that help you maintain the stress levels.
PCOS can be easily controlled through lifestyle changes and food habits. Having proper control and guidance can overcome these disorders. The most effective treatment for PCOS is through diet, proper food habits. Natural Forces within us are the true healers for PCOS(Polycystic ovary syndrome).