Sugarcane juice health benefits and side effects
Sugarcane juice is not only like any other sweet juice but it has many other nutrients. Sugarcane juice is extracted from the cane by pressing it through iron rollers. It is nutritious and refreshing. It contains about 15 % natural sugar and is rich in organic salts and vitamins. The juice can also be used for drinking or sweetening. On hot summer days, it is a cooling drink. A little lime juice and ginger may be mixed in the juice to improve its flavor. Sugarcane has been widely known as raw material for white sugar production. Sugarcane juice is relished as a refreshing drink as it is nutritious and rich in vitamins, carbohydrates, and amino acids. The status of sugarcane juice as a nutritional beverage is well established owing to the presence of variable contents of hydrophilic components.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SUGARCANE JUICE
1. The reason Sugarcane is a popular drink during summers is that it gives an instant kick of energy and quenches the thirst. Sugarcane juice is a good source of glucose which as we know, helps to re-hydrate the human body and gives it a boost of energy. So instead of your artificial energy drink, the next time you feel fatigued or dehydrated, consider drinking a glass of cane juice.
2. Even though cane juice tastes very sweet and has high sugar content, it is good for diabetic patients. It contains natural sugar which has a low glycaemic index that prevents a steep rise in blood glucose levels in diabetics, so it can act as a substitute for aerated drinks for them. However, people with Type-2 diabetes should consume it in moderation and after consultation with their doctors.
3. Sugarcane juice is considered an alkaline-forming food because of the high concentration of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese in it. Diseases like cancer cannot survive in an alkaline environment and that’s why studies show that it is effective in fighting cancer, especially prostate and breast cancer.
4. As sugar cane juice boosts protein levels in the body, it helps in maintaining the health of the kidney. Taken in a diluted form, with lime juice and coconut water, sugar cane juice helps in reducing the burning sensation which is commonly associated with urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted diseases, kidney stones and prostatitis.
5. The antioxidants in sugarcane juice help to fight infections and boost the immune system of the body. It also protects the liver against infections and helps in keeping the bilirubin levels in control. This is one of the reasons that jaundice patients are advised to drink sugar cane juice, as it is one of the few things that gets easily digested and does not put any pressure on the liver and also helps in reducing the bilirubin levels.
6. Sugarcane juice also acts as a good digestive aid due to the presence of potassium. It helps in keeping the digestive system in good shape, prevents stomach infections and is considered to be particularly useful in treating the problem of constipation.
7. Sugarcane juice protects against tooth decay and bad breath due to its high mineral content.
8. Sugarcane juice has been discovered to be good for those people who are struggling with febrile disorders. Febrile disorders result in fevers, which can lead to seizures and loss of proteins in the body. It is quite common in infants and children. Sugarcane juice helps in compensating the lost protein and helps in recovery.
Sugarcane is not only beneficial for your health but also good for your skin. It’s a miracle drink for a healthy lifestyle which is also tasty.
Nutritional facts per 100gm
Calories – 269
Sodium – 63mg
Potassium – 63mg
Carbohydrate – 73gm
Iron – 0 19%
Magnesium – 2%
The side effects of sugarcane juice are very low. However it can lead to some health issues like insomnia, stomach upset, dizziness, headache if consumed excessively.